The benefits and side effects of onion juice on hair are a long and ongoing debate. While some people vouch for the benefits of onion juice for hair, some people strongly stand by the fact that there are side effects of onion juice on hair.
The use of onion juice on hair is not a surprising thing for most individuals as this has been an age-long tradition, used for hair growth.
Now while it might not seem absurd, knowing the science behind the use of onion juice for hair is quite important.
Onion juice provides essential sulfur that facilitates the growth of long, healthy, and glistening hair. Although, the strong nature of this sulfur can lead to side effects of onion juice on the hair on hair.
We’re here to bust some myths and facts about the use of onion juice for hair, read on –
- Onion juice for hair growth – We most often get asked if onion juice boosts hair growth? We say, yes! When you apply onion juice directly to your scalp and hair, the sulfur present in the juice promotes hair growth and collagen growth in the scalp that makes hair long and lustrous. There isn’t any side effect of onion juice on hair recorded in this aspect.
- Onion juice and greying hair – We hear a lot of people suggesting that a side effect of side effects of onion juice on the hair on the hair on hair is that it turns hair grey. It is quite the opposite actually. The antioxidants present in the onion juice delay the greying of hair and also help with premature greying of hair.
- Apply it overnight – A lot of people let the onion juice work on their hair overnight. They say it delivers maximum results. But experts suggest not doing so. The intense property of the juice can irritate your scalp if you put it on overnight. In order to avoid this side effect of onion juice on hair, we suggest you apply juice 15-20 mins on your scalp and then wash it thoroughly, with a mild shampoo.
- The smell doesn’t go – We’re too in a bit of a twist with this one. This is one serious side effect of onion juice on hair. The pungent smell is difficult to get rid of and can be a major put-off. The nullify the strong odor of onion Juice you can infuse lemons in water and try to wash your hair with that. Use a mild to strong shampoo to get rid of the sour smell.
- If you have an easily irritable and sensitive scalp, refrain from using onion as the side effects of onion juice on hair can be rather strong.
- In case you’re experiencing dry, frizzy, or odd hair, try spraying rose water on your hair. This will help dim down the side effect of onion juice on hair.
- You can use onion juice on your beard as well! It helps with the thickening of beard hair and promotes the growth of beard hair.
Watch out for more such myth busting and hair care tips and tricks.